Dignity for All Students Act
Dear BC Families,
We are committed to ensuring that all scholars feel safe and are welcomed into a school environment that has their best interest in mind. The Dignity for All Students Act:
- Provides schools and students a safe and supportive environment free from discrimination, intimidation, taunting, harassment, and bullying on school property, a school bus and/or at a school function.
- Requires that there should be instruction in civility, citizenship, and character education by expanding the concepts of tolerance, respect for others and dignity
- Raises an awareness and sensitivity for different races, weights, national origins, ethnic groups, religions, religious practices, mental or physical abilities, sexual orientations, gender identity, and sexes.
The following are DASA initiatives that we’ve implemented this school year:
- The Conflict Resolution Box is used to solve small classroom problems. These are used mostly for one time incidents that can be discussed and resolved amongst peers.
- Second Step Character Education takes place in all classrooms weekly.
- The Safety Box is confidential! Reports sent to the Safety Box are dropped off by the scholar and seen only by our school’s DASA Coordinator only. These are conflicts that are happening repetitively and make a scholar consistently feel unsafe or anxious at school because of his peers of staff member.
The DASA Coordinator at our school is Ms. Appleby. If you have a complaint or suspicion that your scholar is being bullied by another scholar(s) or staff member(s), please email the DASA Coordinators at DASAGIRLS@brighterchoice.org. We will provide you with the DASA Incident Reporting form to complete. This form is also located in the main office. Once completed you can email it to the DASA coordinators or have the office manager place in one of their mailboxes. This form must be submitted to the Dignity Act Coordinators within one day of the event.