Enroll for the upcoming school year
Free transportation from Albany, Schenectady, Troy and more.
Historically, single-gender education in Albany was limited largely to those who could afford to attend top-performing private academies. It was the desire of the founders of Brighter Choice to provide the same opportunities to those who may not be able to afford a private education by offering single-gender education at the public level.
Much research has been conducted regarding single-gender education. Cornelius Riordan, an educational researcher and associate professor of sociology at Providence College, offered the following as possible rationales to explain the positive effects of single-gender schools:
- A greater degree of order and control
- The provision of more successful role models
- A reduction of gender differences in curriculum and opportunities
- A reduction of gender bias in teacher-student interaction
- The provision of a greater number of leadership opportunities
- A pro-academic parent/student choice, which is required by single gender schools.